Thursday, July 1, 2010

Barca target Cesc Fabregas hints he may stay at Arsenal

Cesc Fabregas has hinted he could stay at Arsenal, despite continued interest from Spanish champions Barcelona.

The Gunners have already turned down a bid of about £30m from the Catalans and said they would not entertain further interest in their 23-year-old captain.

And Fabregas, in South Africa preparing for Spain's World Cup quarter-final tie against Paraguay, suggested he could stay at the Emirates next season.

"I haven't said that I will definitely leave Arsenal," he told Sky Sports.

"Everything is possible. Now I have my head and my focus on the World Cup.

"I am very proud to be captain of Arsenal and I love the club and have respect for them. It gave me such pride to be made captain."


Barcelona have made it clear they regard midfielder Fabregas, who played in the youth team at the Nou Camp before moving to north London seven years ago, as one of their chief transfer targets this summer.

New Barcelona president Sandro Rosell has already secured the services of striker David Villa for £35m and could have more funds available, with Yaya Toure linked with a big-money move to Manchester City.

Fabregas signed an eight-year contract with the Gunners in 2006 and has been quoted as saying he would only join Barcelona if he left the north London club.

He has featured twice in Spain's World Cup campaign, coming on as a substitute on both occasions.

No comments:

Post a Comment