Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Africans must look to local coaches

Nigeria coach Lars Lagerback has advised African countries to look the way of indigenous coaches and trust in continuity if they hope to do well at major tournaments.

All but one of Africa's six representatives at the 2010 World Cup are coached by foreigners, with Algeria the only exception. And with three already eliminated, Lagerback suggested that Africans may need to look inwards in the future and give the coaches more time.

"What is the problem for Africa in general? The only thing I can see, and I am not sure if I am right is that maybe they need a little bit more continuity.

"I have talked to Kanu a little bit about that and maybe the players that have been around and played for a long time, I hope that they could come back into the African countries and work as coaches and help to influence the development of football in their countries.

"I think a person like Kanu could be perfect for that kind of position if he wants to go into coaching himself."

Kanu agreed, but said he was looking more at going into football administration.

"When it comes to reading the game, I dont think there is anybody who can read the game better than I can. But when things are going wrong, it is always from the top, and that is where we have to start from if we want to make a difference.

"Right now, I don’t know if I want to go into coaching, but it is something I have to go back and think about."

No comments:

Post a Comment