Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I don’t want Eagles job – Kanu

Super Eagles captain, Nwankwo Kanu has denied he is interested in a role in the national team.

Kanu, whose effort could not yield Nigeria dividends as the team crashed out of the ongoing World Cup after a 2 - 2 draw with South Korea on Tuesday, had been tipped for a role in the Eagles after retirement.

The Portsmouth forward was quoted by London Evening Standard on Wednesday as saying he would not take any job with the team unless the Nigeria Football Federation was reorganised.

Kanu said, ”The organisation from above has to be right for anyone to want to take the job. I would not take that nonsense.

“Portsmouth has offered me a new contract and I have to think about that. It has been a crazy season with Portsmouth but this is worse because it is my country.”

Meanwhile, coach Lars Lagerback has admitted he does not know what the NFF plans to do with him after failing to take the Eagles beyond the group stage of the World Cup.

“I‘m the one doing the game plan and the one training the team. Maybe with a little more time it could have been a little different,” Lagerback told thelocal.se after the game against South Korea.

“I have felt privileged to be the coach of Nigeria. It‘s been a fantastic journey in many ways. As for the future, I don‘t know, the focus has been on the World Cup.”

Lagerback was hired in March to take over from coach Shaibu Amodu, who was redeployed to the home-based Eagles.

No comments:

Post a Comment