Tuesday, May 11, 2010

BRAVO TO A POLITICAL ENIGMA

Do you remember the article “praised like a bee, swatted like a mosquito”? Therein I conclusively pleaded with people not to kill me with invectives but bombard me with encomiums. I implored people of this talkative world to praise me or you (anybody) or the government of the day, instead of swatting you, me, them or us. That's the essence of Wise and Otherwise, my zigs and zags - the column that criticizes and commends society where necessary. Ah! Haven't we tried from cradle to this age and stage? We deserve not only praises but thanksgiving and thanksreceiving.
As Senator John James Akpan Udoedehe will be declaring his intent to run the guber race 2011, this column in a very few words, in this special edition, wants to congratulate him for a step boldly taken. When Godswill, the incumbent Governor, from nomination, won, I congratulated him. If Engr. Udonwa will do same, as a bothered (not “concerned”) citizen of this state, I will equally congratulate and boost his moral. I will congratulate whoever comes out.

Is it not a competitive market? Today is Udoedehe's day. A friend advised he should be called Udo-adehe because Udo-edehe plurally means that all the Udos edehe. Personally I cannot tell what the Senator's name (Akpan or Udo-edehe) connotes, but I used to hear of Edehe-udim (unity is strength or majority carries the vote, I can define).
Personally I have never met with John James (Jay-Jay) nor known him intimately…but I can't leave him unsung. I do not praise him because he will hand over the governorship position to me if he wins. I am mainly congratulating him for having the boldness to seek for an alternative government (call it opposing?). He is not a coward like me; I encourage his courage. The one-time chairman, two-time Senator and recently Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (I reserve other portfolios /details) is one character who dares and treads where angels dread.

He is an enigma in our political landscape. He offended Obong Attah and pleaded “not guilty”. Obong Attah, Uko-ke-ekong-eren-owo, a father-to-all, tolerated and re-owned him. Udoedehe, the politician! He made Akpabio a Governor that he I today. Ata-Udo, the politician! With his pioneering role, I'm convinced that the aspirants that will come out of their shells and throng the political route will be legion. Of all of them, including the incumbent governor, whoever the cap fits will wear it. As a caring referee or umpire in this field of play (Akwa Ibom), I say “may the better side win”.

Long live Akwa Ibom State. God bless Nigeria!

No comments:

Post a Comment